1 c vegetable broth (or any broth of your choice)
1/3 c olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 sweet potato, diced
29 oz can chickpeas
1 red pepper, chopped
28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 whole cloves
Pinch chili flakes
1/2 cup prunes, pitted and halved
1/3 cup dried apricots, diced
8 oz jar artichoke hearts, reserve juice
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Cumin (to taste)
1/2 lemon, juiced (optional)
1 c slivered almonds (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and then add the onion and garlic; sauté until softened.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, chickpeas, red peppers, tomatoes, and all of the spices except for the cumin and cook at a medium-high temperature for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add the stock, prunes, apricots, and liquid from the artichokes.
4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat if coming to a boil.
5. Stir in the artichokes, olives, brown sugar, and cumin. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
6. While you are waiting, toast the almonds in a dry frying pan.
7. Stir in the lemon juice if you choose to use it.
8. Serve over rice or couscous.
9. Optional: sprinkle with toasted almonds.