6 large eggs
- Put the eggs in a pan of cold water. Place 6 eggs in a saucepan and fill it with cold water.
- Set over high heat.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. The water should come to a full, rolling boil.
- Turn off the heat and cover the pan. If you have an electric stovetop, take the pan off the burner entirely. Don’t forget to cover the pan.
- Set your timer for the desired time. Leave the eggs in the covered pan for the right amount of time. How long? Depends on whether you want soft-boiled or hard-boiled. Here’s how long each will take:
• For slightly runny soft-boiled eggs: 4 minutes
• For custardy yet firmer soft-boiled eggs: 6 minutes
• For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 10 minutes
- Tap the cooked eggs gently. After your selected time is up, remove the cooked eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon and tap each gently on the countertop to crack the shell in a few places.
- Place the eggs in a bowl of ice water. Fill a bowl with ice water. Transfer the eggs to the bowl and leave them there for at least 1 minute.
- Peel and eat! When ready to eat, peel the egg and enjoy.