1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 Cup dark brown sugar
1/4 Cup light molasses or dark corn syrup
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP ground ginger
1 1/2 TSP ground cloves
1 TSP baking soda
2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 TBSP water
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and baking soda together until the mixture is smooth. Blend in the flour and water to make a stiff dough. Chill at least 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Roll gingerbread dough out on parchment paper to 8mm thick. For gingerbread houses, roll to 4-5mm thick. Use a toothpick to check thickness around dough.
- Cut pieces out of the rolled out dough, then transfer to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Recycle the unused dough back into the bowl.
- Bake for about 7 minutes until dough feels firm. For gingerbread houses, bake for 10 minutes.
- Place patterns on top of the gingerbread again and trim shapes, cutting edges with a straight-edged sharp knife. Leave to cool on baking sheet.
- Place royal icing into pastry bag with a writing tip and press out to decorate individual parts of house, piping on decorations, windows, door, etc., as desired. Let dry until hardened.
- Glue sides, front and back of house together at corners using royal icing.
Recipe from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gingerbread-house-recipe.html