3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Packages Active Dry Yeast
3/4 Cup Milk
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Shortening (Crisco)
Frosting or Cinnamon Sugar for topping
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of flour and yeast. Heat milk, sugar, shortening, and 1 teaspoon salt just until warm, stirring constantly until shortening almost melts.
- Add to dry mixture, Add eggs.
- Beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute scraping bowl. Beat three minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface till smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Shape into ball.
- Place in greased bowl, turn once. Cover, let rise in warm place till double, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down, divide in half. Roll into 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with flour donut cutter.
- Cover, let rise till very late, 30 to 45 minutes. Try in deep hot fat (375º) about one minute on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper toweling. If desired, roll warm donuts in sugar or frost with frosting. Makes 18 to 20 donuts.
Recipe from Betty Crocker