1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 LB Italian Sausage
1/2 Cup diced onion (about 1/2 medium sized onion)
1 TBSP minced garlic
1-28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
1-32. oz. Box of vegetable broth (chicken works too)
2 TBSP Fresh chopped basil
1 TSP Salt
1/2 TSP Pepper
1 Package tortellini
1 Cup packed fresh spinach
Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Heat vegetable oil and add diced onion. Saute until onions are soft.
- Crumble Italian Sausage and garlic with the onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan.
- Slice baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices. Butter one side and place butter side down in a hot skillet until golden brown. Flip bread slices over and sprinkle with Parmesan while the other side gets golden brown. Transfer to a plate and immediately cover loosely with foil if cheese has not completely melted.