3 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Dark Karo Syrup
1 Cup Butter
2 TBSP Brandy
4 Cups Flour
1 Cup Chopped Nuts
1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Citron
1 Cup Cold Water
1 TSP Baking Soda
1 TSP Cinnamon
1/2 TSP Nutmeg
4 1/2 Cups Flour
- Boil together the sugar, Karo syrup, and butter for 5 minutes.
- Then add the Brandy. While hot, stir in the 4 cups of flour. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped nuts and citron. Beat together eggs and cold water, then add to mixture.
- Add soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour. Mix all together. Let stand two days in fridge.
- Roll out 1/8″ thick. Cut into 2-3″ square. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375º for 8-10 minutes.
Recipe from a great great great great grandmother.