Mom’s Dinner Rolls
3 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Package Active Dry Yeast
1 1/4 Cups Milk
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Shortening or Margerine or Butter
1 TSP Salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 Cups of the flour and all of the yeast.
- Separately, heat milk, sugar, shortening, and salt till just warm stirring constantly till shortening almost melts. Add to dry mixture.
- Add egg, beat at low speed of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in remaining flour to make a soft dough. Shape into a ball.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl, turn ball once to grease surface. Cover, let rise in warm place till double 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down, turn out on floured surface. Cover, let rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into large circle, cut like a pizza. Roll into croissant shape. Cover, let rise in warm place for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet at 400º for 10 to 12 minutes.
Recipe from Mom.