Imitation Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Yield: 4 Sandwiches
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Original Red Hot Pepper Sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- Oil cooking spray
- 8 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 plain hamburger buns
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Combine the pepper sauce and water in a small bowl.
- Combine the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder in another shallow bowl.
- Slice each of the breast fillets in half across the middle. Wrap each piece of chicken in plastic wrap and pound it with a mallet to about 1/4 inch thick. If necessary, trim each breast fillet to help it fit on the bun.
- Working with one slice of chicken at a time, coat each piece with the flour mixture, then dredge it in the diluted pepper sauce. Coat the chicken once again in the flour mixture, and set it aside until the rest of the chicken is breaded.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray foil with a generous coat of oil cooking spray. Arrange all of the breaded chicken onto the sprayed foil. Spray a light coat of the oil spray over the entire surface of each slice of chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 8 to 12 minutes or until it begins to brown. Crank oven up to high broil and broil for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until the surface begins to become crispy.
- As the chicken bakes, spread about 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise on the face of each of the inverted top buns.
- Place a tomato slice onto the mayonnaise, and a leaf of lettuce on top of the tomato.
- When the chicken is done, stack one piece onto each of the bottom buns.
- Flip the top half of each sandwich onto the bottom half, and serve hot.
Source: Low-Fat Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.